Begin Stephen Ministry
in Your Congregation
- Learn about the Stephen Series by looking through our website and reading through the printed materials in the Stephen Series introductory packet. (Learn how to receive a free Stephen Series inquiry packet.)
- Call Stephen Ministries St. Louis (314-428-2600) with any questions.
- Speak to a pastor or Stephen Leader at one or more congregations using the Stephen Series (we can provide you with names).
- If possible, attend a Stephen Ministry Workshop. While this certainly isn't a requirement for enrolling, it's a great way to learn more about the Stephen Series and to receive a sample of Stephen Minister training.
- Educate appropriate congregation leaders and decision-making groups about Stephen Ministry. Our staff can provide you with ideas and resources for doing this.
- Examine your congregation's mission or vision statement. How can Stephen Ministry help you better achieve your vision?
- Seek God's guidance by making prayer an important part of the decision-making process.
- Inform your entire congregation as part of the decision-making process--you'll need their involvement and support when you begin Stephen Ministry.
Once you have made your decision, follow the instructions in the Stephen Series Enrollment Booklet (included in the Stephen Series inquiry packet) to enroll your congregation in the Stephen Series. This is a one-time step that provides lifelong benefits for your congregation.
4. Use Your Getting Started Kit
Shortly after your congregation enrolls, Stephen Ministries will send you a Getting Started Kit full of resources you can use right away to begin building a strong foundation for Stephen Ministry. The Getting Started Kit will help you:
- select your first Stephen Leaders;
- begin to build awareness and ownership for Stephen Ministry in your congregation; and
- prepare your Stephen Leaders to get the most out of their LTC experience.
5. Send Leaders to a Leader's Training Course
At a one-week Leader's Training Course (LTC), your Stephen Leaders will learn everything about the Stephen Series system, including:
- working as a team to direct your congregation's Stephen Ministry;
- building awareness and ownership for Stephen Ministry in your congregation;
- recruiting, selecting, and training congregation members as Stephen Ministers;
- identifying people in need and matching them in one-to-one caring relationships with your Stephen Ministers; and
- providing regular supervision and continuing education for your Stephen Ministers.
6. Begin Your Stephen Ministry
Your congregation enrolls only once, but the other steps
are repeated, as needed, as Stephen Ministry becomes
an ongoing ministry in your congregation.
When your Stephen Leaders return from the LTC, they will be well equipped to begin Stephen Ministry in your congregation by following the Stephen Series system. And if your Stephen Leaders have any questions along the way, they can tap the experience of our Stephen Series consultation staff--one of the many benefits of enrolling.
The Stephen Series system provides your congregation with resources, training, support, and a step-by-step process to establish a life-changing, Christ-centered lay caring ministry that works and lasts.
This proven system is what has kept Stephen Ministry going successfully for 10, 15, 20, or more years in congregations.
Receive a Free Packet of Information about Stephen Ministry